Sunday, August 15, 2010

Hamburger Club 2.0













































So two weeks ago I met with my dear friends and it turns out that I am now a member of a bi-weekly (every two weeks, correct me if thats not what that means) gourmet burger club. This week we went to Slaters in Anaheim Hills. The table shared a Slaters 50/50 Peanut Butter Jealousy [top], and I had a custom Slaters 50/50 [mid and bottom] with mozzarella, baby greens, grilled onions, and anchovies (yes anchovies, and yes they are delicious). Slaters specialty 50/50 is a burger made half of ground beef and half ground bacon. These burgers are half bacon so they only come fully cooked, but the bacon content keeps the texture moist and tender. I prefer the dry aged goodness of the Crow Bar, but the price point on these was about half, so I won't complain. The bacon flavor inside the patties comes through in a salty and savory compliment to the beef, but does leave something to be wanted from the beef. Though these burgers are quite good they simply are not as juicy as I want my burgers to be, and I believe this is due to the bacon/beef mix.

The Peanut Butter and Jealousy, was a nice bite of nostalgia however. This burger is topped with peanut butter, strawberry jelly, and thick cut bacon. At first all you get in your mouth is sticky peanut butter and jelly, which tastes (at least for me) just like childhood, then the smoky thick bacon and the savory patty meat your palate with a satisfying chew. Although the top of the mouth stickiness of the peanut butter and jelly doesn't quite suit my burger needs. 

ISO 1600
17mm  27mm  21mm
f/4.0
1/50 sec
Speedlite 430ex [bounced off my hat]



No comments:

Post a Comment