Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Civic - Eat Good Food

Good food is a simple thing, and you can tell when passionate people get together to create something good. Civic, a small (seriously small) new restaurant in Santa Ana, located appropriately on Civic Center (down the street from the courthouse) embodies just that. Good food made with care.
One of my favorite things about this place is that you can tell they enjoy food. On site they make fresh drinks, they source ingredients from the DTSA Farmers Market, and you never know what creative special dish you'll find when you get there. I suppose you can check the website or whatever, but I like the surprise. This day it was a Bacon Truffle Mac and Cheese.
The Mac and Cheese was good, though I thought it could have used more cheesienss. I suppose what it lacked in cheese it made up for with truffle and bacon. But lets get down to business. I came to Civic on the recommendation of an old friend who was totally in a fiend mode for one of Civic's Chorizo Burgers. 
Ain't she a looker.
Seriously though, that is one beautiful burger. The soft, sweet brioche bun, the peppery arugula, the crispy bacon weave. If you look close you'll see some sort of fancy shmeer on the bottom bun. My only complaint, and I typically feel this way of burgers that are not all beef, is that the addition of chorizo to the patty leaves me wanting juice. That point aside, the flavors were all there, there is something natural about chorizo and eggs, and you can really appricaite the love they put into it. All in all, I had an excellent experience, and I've even come back since. The hot dog is real good.




No comments:

Post a Comment